The church where the playwright Friedrich Schiller married Charlotte von Lengefeld has a charm all of its own. Actually called Church of Our Lady, in honour of the Virgin Mary, it was mentioned in records as early as 1307, and is the original parish church of Wenigenjena. Because Schiller married his wife Charlotte here, on 22 February 1790, it has become commonly known as ‘Schiller Church’.
The current church dates back to the 14th and 15th century, and replaced a previous, smaller building. It is characterised by its tall Gothic chancel with narrow divided windows decorated with delicate tracery in fish bladder patterns and trefoil arches. After a lack of funds brought building work to a halt in the first third of the 15th century, the original plan for the nave was never implemented. The southern portal of the church, the ‘beautiful gate’, built at the end of the 15th century, is of some architectural significance, as is a sacrament shrine in the chancel which dates from before the Reformation.
Location Schiller Church
Schiller’s summer house
Schiller’s summer house represents an important part of cultural history in the city of light.
Church of St Michael
The Church of St Michael – one of the seven wonders of Jena – offers sightseeing with a historical touch.